Florida Conference for Catholic Bishops
The Associate for Social Concerns and Respect Life (ASC/RL) serves as a resource professional for the social concerns and respect life activities of the Conference including the following committees: State ProLife Coordinating Committee (SPLCC) and Social Concerns Committees (including the Prison Ministry Committee and Family Life Directors). The ASC/RL is under the supervision, works closely with and reports on all activities to the executive director. The ASC/RL advocates social justice and respect life issues before state and federal agencies; coordinates with various Catholic and other advocacy groups; monitors and participates in the state legislative budget process; and directs various lobbying and statewide conference projects as assigned by the executive director.
- The ASC/RL is a committed Catholic who is conversant on Catholic Social Teaching, especially as it relates to protecting the sanctity of human life and defending human dignity;
- Professes a philosophy in harmony with the Florida Catholic Conference (FCC)/Florida Conference of Catholic Bishops (FCCB);
- Possesses a Master’s degree or equivalent background gained through experience and training;
- Knowledge of the legislative process and ability to promote and advocate for just solutions in the public policy arena.
- Ability to work with individuals and groups and convey Church position to the executive and legislative branches of state government and private organizations.
- Accepts direction and supportive assistance from FCC/FCCB leadership.
- Possesses excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to capture succinctly the essence of discussions.
- Executive ability to plan, organize, direct and manage business aspects of the position.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Death Penalty
• Human Trafficking
• Criminal Justice
• Juvenile Justice
• Marriage and Family
• Adoption/Foster Care
• Domestic Violence
• Welfare Reform
ASC/RL Represents the Conference and networks with the following organizations:
- Executive Office of the Governor
- Department of Children and Families
- Department of Health [in coordination with the FCC/FCCB Associate for Health]
- Department of Corrections
- Department of Juvenile Justice
- Department of Business and Professional Regulation
- Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA)• Office of Adoption and Child Protection
- Faith-based and Community-based Advisory Council
- Floridians Against the Death Penalty (FADP)
- Florida Pregnancy Care Network (FPCN)
- Florida Housing Finance Corporation
- Sadowski Coalition for Affordable Housing
- Florida Legal Services
- Florida Community Loan Fund
- Pro-Family Group including FCCB, FL Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission, Florida Family
- Florida Council of Catholic Women
- Monitor and participate in the state legislative process.
- Keep the executive director, and members of pertinent policy and advocacy committees, apprised of all important matters affecting social concerns and respect life.
- Organize and staff meetings of the State Pro-Life Coordinating Committee, the Prison Ministry Committee, and Family Life Directors.
- Prepare correspondence, reports, presentations and meeting agendas, organize material, compile background supporting materials for meetings, work projects and reports related to the above assigned committees.
- Attend and represent the FCC/FCCB at appropriate state and national meetings concerning respect life and social concerns, reporting outcomes to appropriate committees of concern.
- Establish and maintain liaison with governmental agencies and private organizations listed under Section IV.
- Monitor and report to pertinent committees on implementation of state and federal laws and regulations affecting respect life and social concerns.
- Promote the bishops’ positions on legislation through lobbying, preparing position papers and letters.
- Prepare and present testimony and statements to state legislative committees and government agencies.
- Prepare legislative alerts in coordination with the FCC/FCCB Associate Director for Communications on state and federal issues related to social concerns and respect life
Qualified candidates can obtain more information and apply here: Florida Conference of Catholic Bishops – Position opening – Tallahassee, FL (flaccb.org)
Send cover letter and resumé to email@example.com or Florida Catholic Conference, 201 W. Park Ave., Tallahassee, FL 32301. In addition, please click here to complete a job application.
No phone calls, please.