Espiritu Santo Parish
Work Content Summary – At all times during employment, employees are expected to conduct themselves in a manner that is consistent with the teachings and tenants of the Catholic Faith under the authority of the Bishop of the Diocese of St. Petersburg. A summary of the specific position stated above includes (summarize how the position fits into the overall operation of the organization)
The Bookkeeper is a professional who serves as a staff resource providing accounting and administrative services support to all in the Business Office. This person directs these efforts with technical and professional expertise and performs his/her duties in a collegial and collaborative manner. He/she is a person of faith committed to Gospel values and responsible stewardship of parish resources.
Essential Functions – Integrated within all the essential functions of your job is the duty to evangelize the Good News of the Gospels. While you may not be a member of this Catholic Faith community, it is essential to your job that you always respect and support the mission of the Church during your employment. It is essential that you exhibit personal integrity, honesty, and compassion and make decisions in an ethical framework consistent with the Catholic Faith, teachings, and traditions, so that by your example, you will teach and spread the Good News of Jesus Christ. It is further essential that you attend all staff retreats and other religious gatherings even if you are not a member of the Catholic Faith. Your job will involve the following additional primary elements that you must be able to accomplish:
The essential duties and responsibilities of this position will include, but not be limited to the following. Other duties may be assigned as needed and/or directed by Pastor and/or Director of Accounting & Finance.
Parish Revenue Processing:
- Coordinate the counting and verification of weekly offertory collections and the preparation of bank deposits and Offertory Worksheet
- Assist in recruitment of volunteers for the cash counting teams; ensure count teams have the supplies needed to assist with revenue processing
- Prepare collection bags for weekly offertory; responsible for maintaining record of bags used and collected
- Work with volunteers for the collection, counting, depositing, and coding of deposits to appropriate accounts for votive candle and poor box offerings
- Responsible for the collection, depositing and code review of deposits to appropriate general ledger accounts for funerals, weddings, private baptisms, donations, mass intentions, and other miscellaneous deposits
Parish and School Accounts Payable:
- Review Check Requests for proper documentation, coding and approvals and submit for review by Director of Accounting & Finance
- Input approved Check Requests and invoices into accounts payable system and maintain open invoice files
- Generate scheduled vendor checks after Director of Accounting & Finance has reviewed coding and approvals and signatures and attach required documentation
- Facilitate Pastor’s signature on printed checks; responsible for mailing checks and maintaining paid invoice files
- Maintain a copy of IRS Form W-9 for all vendors; prepare 1099s for applicable vendors in accordance with IRS guidelines
Parish and School Revenue:
- Prepare deposit journal entries using weekly reports (Truist Remote Deposit Receipts, bank receipts, ESCC Miscellaneous reports, ACH payments and daily reports from We Share, FACTS, Bluesnap and Square)
- Responsible for the collection, depositing and code review of deposits to appropriate general ledger accounts for miscellaneous school-related income.
- Record revenue deposits in the General Ledger on a weekly basis
- Maintain all Revenue documentation separated by fund (Offertory, We Share, Square, Misc., etc.)
- Prepare monthly reconciliations and check requests for the following funds held in trust: SVdP, Building Fund Capital Campaign, Catholic Ministry Appeal, and various Diocesan special collections (as needed)
- Assist the Home and School Association with depositing checks remotely and entering revenue in QuickBooks
Other Business Office Responsibilities:
- Maintain good working relationships and effective communications with Parish and School staff, auxiliary organizations, and the Diocese of St. Petersburg
- Maintain and Reconcile Parish and School Petty Cash
- Review all auxiliary organization bank account statements and reconciliations, maintaining them up to date
- Coordinate expense allocation monthly for Parish & School Truist credit card statement; record credit card expense allocation in general ledger
- Assist in seasonal data entry tasks for ESCS tuition management system (FACTS)
- Assist in seasonal ESCS purchasing process for textbooks, educational software, and supplies
- Other Business Office tasks as needed
The Bookkeeper is directly accountable to and evaluated by the Director of Accounting & Finance but will have collaborative and working relationships with the following:
- Pastor, Parochial Vicar(s), Parish Administrator, and all other assisting clergy (deacons and priests)
- All other Pastoral Team Members, Department/Ministry Heads and Business Office staff
- School Principal, Assistant Principal, and staff
Skills and Abilities – List all technical skill types, amount of time skills were used and any other abilities necessary for an incumbent to perform satisfactorily in this position.
- Must have Organizational and administrative skills
- Must have good interpersonal communication skills.
- Must have the ability to offer assistance to parish and school staff.
- Must have good record-keeping skills.
- Must be able to organize and prioritize time.
- Must provide own transportation for job-related responsibilities.
Education and Work Experience – List all educational requirements and the work experience necessary for an incumbent to perform satisfactorily in this position.
- Must have work experience in Accounting or Business and Finance
- Must have knowledge of accounting and record keeping principles and practices
- Must have knowledge of cash flow management
- Must have knowledge of work contracts and purchasing guidelines
- Must have a working knowledge of QuickBooks Pro
- Must have a working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and other Microsoft Office Suite software
- Must have knowledge in working and being proficient with spreadsheets in Excel
- Must be able to work collegially with the parish staff and volunteers.
- Must have the ability to work in a collaborative manner to achieve Business Office goals and objectives
- Must have the ability to work within the approved parish organizational structure and reporting relationships
Note: This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of difficulty that will be required by this position. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of similar kind or level of difficulty.
Candidates must successfully pass a level II (FBI) criminal history background check and complete Safe Environment Training prior to employment.
If you are interested, please email Joseph Phillips at email@example.com.