St. Raphael Parish
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: The Business Operations Director is responsible for all business activities of the parish and report directly to the Pastor. They will collaborate with clergy in fostering our mission and parish/school life. St. Raphael’s was founded in the 1960’s on beautiful Snell Isle in St. Petersburg, Florida. Today this family of faith is comprised of nearly 2000 families. Our parish and school are committed to working together to strengthen families and form our children to love God and help them find their place in this world in building the Kingdom. Our community of faith is anchored in prayer from our sacramental life, growing in discipleship, serving the poor, working for justice, and reaching the lost. The Business Operations Director is a steward of the financial, physical, and human resources of the parish and has fiduciary responsibility for these areas. In collaboration with the Pastoral Council, the Parish Finance Council, and other parish committees/organizations, the Business Operations Director ensures parish business practices align with the Mission, Vision, and Values of the parish.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES: (The essential functions/major responsibilities listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position. Duties and responsibilities are also subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.)
- Collaborates with the pastor and other staff in implementing the mission of the Parish. This is accomplished by participating in the comprehensive planning, implementation, and evaluation of the parish goals and objectives, with specific focus on prudent stewardship of the parish’s human, financial, and capital resources. Incumbent also collaborates in regional/deanery planning and program efforts. Work with Leadership Team to clarify and advance vision, goals, and strategy.
- Financial Management/Accounting: Oversees that parish revenues are sufficient to cover parish expenses and that parish expenses do not exceed budget or supplementary approval, and that all required records and financial books are kept current, balanced, and readily available. This includes all reports and records that are necessary to meet federal, state and diocesan requirements. Incumbent assures the preparation of a comprehensive annual parish and school budget, including revenue and expense projections, for review and approval by the Pastor in consultation with the Finance Council; monitoring the monthly income and expenditures; authorizing purchases and payment of all bills; assuring accurate and confidential financial record keeping systems; overseeing tabulation and deposit of all parish income, and preparing monthly/quarterly financial reports to the Pastor and Finance Council. Monthly reports are also to be given to each department, and ministries as applicable.
- Stewardship: Coordinate the parish’s Sunday & Holy Day Offertory efforts and Diocesan Catholic Ministry Appeal, as well as promote and coordinate deferred giving, the Capital Improvement Fund Program, and the diocesan/national Catholic campaigns. To accomplish this, the incumbent attends the diocesan training sessions in each of these areas, assure all necessary materials are ordered and sent out to all parishioners, write all announcements and bulletin articles relating to this area. Incumbent is accountable to the parishioners of the offertory income throughout the year, and report to the parishioners of their giving records minimally on an annual basis. Maintains a working relationship with major donors. Coordinates parish memorials and endowments. Serve as the support staff to the pastor’s stewardship team and promote stewardship as a way of life throughout the parish. Assist in the integration of stewardship throughout all parish ministries. Assist in the parish’s annual time and talent effort.
- Human Resources: Oversee all human resources/personnel functions (salaries, benefit packages, hiring/exiting procedures, performance appraisals, professional development process, job descriptions, and updating personnel manual), by collaborating with the Diocesan HR Director and Personnel Team. Ensure proper new employee orientation for all St. Raphael Parish staff.
- Budget Process: Prepares a comprehensive annual parish and assists in the preparation of the school budget, including revenue and expense projections, for review and approval by the Pastor in consultation with the Finance Council; This is accomplished by assisting each ministry to with their annual budgets for presentation to their respective commissions, the Finance Council, and the Pastoral Council. Provide the Finance Council with revenue and expense projections/analysis monthly. Duties also include overseeing the budgets throughout the year to assess the ongoing budgetary goals of the Parish, and to be of assistance to each ministry in interpreting their budget monthly. Report each month to the Pastoral Council the financial status of the parish. Incumbent is directly responsible for managing the general parish, pastoral administration budgets, capital and technology budgets. Prepares the annual church and school budgets with Finance Controller, School Principal, Church staff and Strategic Steering Council.
- School: Provides assistance to the School Principal and School Commission in developing and implementing financial policies of the parish as they relate to the school. This is accomplished by assisting the principal in making major capital purchases, providing information to develop and/or administer a tuition assistance (grants-in-aid) program, assists in ensuring the Step-Up for Families and other governmental aid programs are in compliance at all times, and provides information necessary to establish tuition rates, etc. Incumbent also provides assistance in developing and/or administering a system of collecting tuition. Serves as an advisor in the school’s development efforts and works with the school to promote parish membership and the parish’s offertory effort among the school parents.
- Parish Facilities: Assures management of all parish facilities and grounds. This is accomplished by collaborating with the Facility Manager to see that major repairs and renovations are managed; overseeing plant safety and security and by assuring the guidelines are developed and implemented for scheduling and using parish facilities. Responsible for the parish capital budget for the regular maintenance of the grounds.
- Calendar: Ensures adequate staff support for the facility calendar process and assures that the process is completed.
- Risk Management: Oversees the insurance related matters of the facilities and personnel. This is accomplished by filing reports to Catholic Mutual, as necessary and aid staff members with matters of risk and liability. Incumbent assists in the filing with worker’s compensation claims and reports. Ensures the parish grounds are properly maintained and risk averse.
- Purchasing: Assures the development and maintenance of a total Parish inventory of all durable and consumable goods. This is accomplished by evaluating expenditures and assuring that services, supplies and equipment are purchased at the best possible price, terms, discounts, and vendor levels, and be without conflicts of interests.
The Business Operations Director is directly accountable to and evaluated by the Pastor. The Business Operations Director is accountable to the Pastor for time and attendance. Other collaborative relationships involve the following offices:
- Diocesan Finance Ministry
- Diocesan Human Resource Ministry
- Diocesan Stewardship & Development Office
- Diocesan Construction & Real Estate Office
- School Principal
- Office Manager
- Facilities Manager
- Support and assist with parish wide events as needed.
- Serves as part of the Pastoral team in our disciple efforts.
- Directs the preparation of the Sunday Bulletin and proofreads the final copy.
- Oversees the parish web page.
- Supervises welcome program.
- Attends parish functions.
- And other duties as specified by the Pastor.
QUALITIES AND SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Must be an active member of a Catholic community to express personal knowledge of the Catholic faith and commitment to Catholic ideals.
- Must complete online Safe Environment training.
- BA/BS in a related field, 5-7 years recent experience in a comparable leadership position recommended. Operational Management experience preferred.
- Possess a demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative fashion with diverse groups;
- Strong communication skills, including oral presentation and business writing. An ability to compose correspondence and reports.
- Must have the ability to manage while prioritizing workflow and maintaining flexibility. Have a proven ability to handle multiple projects/priorities. Be able to work well & creatively under pressure required.
- Confidentiality must be strictly adhered.
- Successfully pass a level II (FBI) criminal history background check and attend Safe Environment Training
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described above are representative of the physical capabilities that must be met by an employee and the working conditions that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
To apply, click here. Please include a cover letter with your application.