St. Michael the Archangel
This full-time position oversees all aspects of musical liturgy, in collaboration with the pastoral staff, providing professional management that cultivates ministry and lay leadership. The goal of this position is to ensure quality liturgical celebrations and to supply music that will enhance the “full, conscious, active participation of the faithful” of St. Michael the Archangel parish.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Function as principal keyboardist and choir director.
- Select and plan music for week-end liturgies and various Holy Days and special liturgies.
- Recruit, equip, motivate, supervise and shepherd music team leaders and musicians.
- Develop cantors, choirs and ensembles for masses
- Communicate faithfully with the clergy and staff.
- Participate in the life and ministry of the church
- Oversee administrative aspects of the position.
Knowledge and skills:
- Uses strong listening, verbal and written communication skills.
- Achieves results with little oversight.
- Acts with urgency to meet individual and organizational commitments.
- Demonstrates strong attention to detail and pursue quality in accomplishing tasks.
- Has strong computer skills.
- Is proficient in performance areas, to include, keyboard (piano and/or organ), choral and/or voice.
- Has basic proficiency with the ability to arrange music and creating instrumental harmonies.
- Is knowledgeable of, and comfortable with, Church music literature in all forms and styles for the congregations, choirs (adult, teen and children), vocalists, and instrumentalists.
- Has a thorough understanding of the musical, liturgical, and pastoral judgments which must be made in selecting music for liturgy.
- Has an in-depth knowledge of Church documents that govern and direct liturgy and sacred music.
- Respects and upholds Catholic Church teaching, ideally a practicing Catholic with ethical standards, personal integrity, and conduct consistent with the morals and teachings of the Catholic Church, committed to the church’s vision, leadership and people.
- Is enthusiastic and dedicated, with a positive attitude and a commitment to serving the local community. Excellent interpersonal skills are a must, as are the patience, clarity, and ease of communication necessary to teach well.
- Has a positive attitude and a good sense of humor who is a strong team player.
- Has the ability to organize, coordinate, and motivate musicians and the desire to lead and sustain a program of quality congregational singing.
- Is dependable, responsible, organized, self-motivated and creative.
- Minimally, a Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent is required with a preferred five years’ experience in a church-related setting.
- Has experience with technical aspects of worship, for example, basic ability to understand a sound system and operate a sound board.
- Has the ability to work effectively with all levels of employees and volunteers.
- Is able to honor and maintain confidentiality.
Candidate must successfully pass a Level II background screening and complete Safe Environment training.
Qualified applicants please send resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org