Saint Leo University
Job Description Summary
The Director of University Ministry will be viewed as the key person to lead, facilitate, and champion the spiritual formation of the student community. S/he will report directly to the President and will sit on Deans’ Cabinet and the Student Life, Athletics, and Ministry group. Catholic Priest preferred.
Duties and Tasks:
- Provide worship, discipleship, and service opportunities for all students:
- Offer leadership and peer mentoring opportunities for upperclassmen
- Inform and train faculty and other staff on college student faith development and encourage participation in that development
- Nurture a multicultural perspective and help students develop a deep inclination and aptitude for the work of reconciliation
- Assist students in finding and entering into church communities for regular worship
- Forge and maintain intentional partnerships with area congregations
- Provides spiritual counsel and emotional support to student, families and staff:
- Facilitate support by outside clergy/spiritual support system as requested
- Participates in interdisciplinary rounds as appropriate
- Participates in care conferences as a member of the interdisciplinary team
- Responds to urgent/emergent requests, including after-hours call
- Documents assessments and support provided
- Further provides spiritual care, emotional support and education by participating in:
- Specifically identified memorial services
- Appropriate grief/illness forums
- Student shadowing
- Serving on healthcare/University committees as assigned
- Supervision of spiritual care volunteers
- The Director of Ministry will facilitate RCIA and is in charge of these aspects:
- Teaching the students in RCIA about the faith using a variety of resources.
- Organizing meetings with students as a group or 1 on 1.
- Communicating progress with St. Anthony’s in San Antonio.
- Helping organize paperwork needed from students to St. Anthony’s.
- Attend several liturgical celebrations (specifically once Lent and Easter come).
- Represents University chaplaincy to community groups through:
- Facilitating access for Faith Specific Volunteers
- Specifically identified memorial services
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Bachelor’s degree in Pastoral Studies, Religion, Social Science, or related discipline from a regionally or pontifically accredited college or university required.
- Masters in Pastoral Studies, Religion, Social Science, or related discipline from a regionally or pontifically accredited college or university preferred.
- Previous instructional experience in the field of pastoral studies, religion, or theology or experience as a Catholic Priest is preferred.
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and education that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Must be practicing Roman Catholic.
- Minimum of two years of experience in ministry.
- Publicly adheres to Church teaching and the CCMA Code of Ethics. CCMA Professional Certification in Campus Ministry preferred.
- Has a detailed understanding of Roman Catholic doctrine.
- Able to develop and sustain effective professional relationships with Ministry Mentors, students and with college and university professionals.
- Pastoral Care and Counseling.
- Experience in ministry to any of the following is preferred: Greek life, student athletics, or online students.
- Demonstrates the ability to reflect theologically.
The work environment characteristics described here are a representation of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term “qualified individual with a disability” means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office and University, handle various type of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds unless otherwise specified in the job description.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Saint Leo University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success.