The Diocese participates in the Applicant Fingerprint Retention Program (AFRNP), which provides greater protection to our children, youth, and vulnerable adults. The AFRNP notifies the Diocese immediately of arrests of previously cleared individuals.
It is important to note that FBI background checks can only be used for the purpose intended. Results cannot be shared between public agencies such as the Florida Department of Education and private agencies such as the private schools and parishes of the Diocese of St. Petersburg. FBI background checks are statute-specific and cannot be used for multiple purposes. Unfortunately, this requirement by the US Attorney General results in individuals being fingerprinted and screened multiple times depending on their participation in various state and federal programs.
Online registration and scheduling an appointment is required in order to have your fingerprints taken and submitted. We are unable to accommodate walk-ins.
Following is an outline of the background screening process:
- Registration must be made on-line .
- For employees and volunteers, it is important to select the correct parish or school where you volunteer or are employed. Please click here to begin.
- Independent Contractors and Licensees, please follow the instructions by clicking here
- State and County Resource Personnel
- Employees of the state or its counties please follow the instructions by clicking here (under construction)
- Vendors/contractors to the state or its counties who are not state or county government employees, please follow these instructions by clicking here
- During the registration process, you will be prompted to schedule an appointment at one of the fingerprinting centers listed (you will receive an email confirmation after you have completed the online registration process). Please follow the registration instructions mentioned above exactly.
- As part of the registration process, you must provide a government-issued photo ID document. Foreign government photo IDs (passports, etc.) are acceptable. You must bring this exact identification document with you to your scheduled appointment.
- Attend your scheduled appointment – if you need to reschedule, please follow the instructions on the Confirmation Email.
- After processing background screening reports by the diocesan Safe Environment Program Office, results will be forwarded to the designated parish or school secure site you provided during the registration
The cost and payment schedule will change as follows:
- $51.00 for Parish Volunteers: Payment must be made at time of online registration.
- $51.00 for School Volunteers: Volunteers will pay at time of online registration.
- $58.58 for School Employees and Vendors: School employees and contractors will pay at time of online registration.
- Federal/State/County Employees: Contact the Safe Environment Program Office for non-payment instructions.
If you are unable to register online, contact the Safe Environment Program Office at 727-344-1611, Ext. 5303 for assistance.