Black Catholic Ministry
The Black Catholic Commission was established in 2011 in the Diocese of St. Petersburg for the purpose of supporting the Bishop in providing spiritual, cultural, and social nourishment to Catholics of African descent, thereby facilitating their enrichment within the diocese and encouraging them to participate more fully in the life and activities of the Church.
- To serve as a vehicle to provide spiritual, cultural and social nourishment for Catholics of African descent.
- To promote active involvement in church ministry, religious vocation and leadership among Black Catholics.
- To encourage and support those who minister in the Black Catholic community.
- To implement programs which respond to the needs of Black Catholics and the broader Black community, such as the National Black Catholic Pastoral Plan.
- To encourage and develop Black leadership within the Catholic diocese.
- To act as an agency for community concerns of Blacks.
- To maintain contact and communication with local and national groups which have similar goals.
- To keep the Black Catholic Community up to date on materials and programs and workshops and other local, state and national events as they relate to the broader Catholic Community.
There are a variety of programs offered.
DAY OF REFLECTION FOR NATIONAL BLACK CATHOLIC CONGRESS XIII
The Black Catholic Ministry, Diocese of St. Petersburg, will host a Day of Reflection in preparation for the National Black Catholic Congress XIII. From July 20 to July 23, 2023 Congress XIII will take place in National Harbor, Maryland. The Congress is held every five years. If you have never been to a Congress before, this is a great opportunity. Our Day of Reflection will give us a framework in preparing for the Congress experience.
The Congress theme, “Write the Vision: A Prophetic Call to Thrive” invites the Black community to listen to God’s voice through scripture and become a prophetic people who move towards a vision to thrive. To do this, we must listen to God speaking through scripture through the events of our history and culture as well as the present issues of these times.
The Congress addresses all age groups, so our Day of Reflection is for adults, young adults and youth!
For more information on the National Black Catholic Congress, visit their web page at www.nbccongress.org.
To register for our Day of Reflection, please click on the link below. You can register yourself and others!
NATIONAL BLACK CATHOLIC CONGRESS XIII – SAVE THE DATE! July 20 through 23, 2023
“Write the Vision: A Prophetic Call to Thrive”