“By means of the yearly cycle, the Church celebrates the whole mystery of Christ, from his incarnation until the day of Pentecost and the expectation of his coming again.” – Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy, no. 102 & General Norms for the Liturgical Year and Calendar, no. 17.
HOLY DAYS OF OBLIGATION
In 1991, the bishops of the United States asked for permission of the Holy See to lift the obligation to attend Mass on three holy days of obligation when they fell on certain dates. After permission was granted by the Holy See, the following statement was issued by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB):
“In addition to Sunday, the days to be observed as holy days of obligation in the Latin Rite dioceses of the USA include the following solemnities: Mary, Mother of God (Jan. 1); the Ascension of the Lord; the Assumption of Mary (Aug. 15); All Saints (Nov. 1); the Immaculate Conception of Mary (Dec. 8); and the Nativity of the Lord/Christmas (Dec. 25). Whenever January 1, the solemnity of Mary, Mother of God, or August 15, the solemnity of the Assumption of Mary, or November 1, the solemnity of All Saints, falls on a Saturday or a Monday, the obligation to attend Mass is lifted.” (USCCB, December 13, 1991)
The resource listed below is offered to assist parishes as they schedule the holy days for the coming year.
- Holy Days (Precepto) 2021-22 (Added 10/20/2020)
LENT & EASTER 2021
The seasons of Lent & Easter begin with Ash Wednesday on February 17, 2021. The Rite of Election will be celebrated in the parishes on Sunday, February 21, 2021 (the First Sunday of Lent). Holy Week begins with Passion/Palm Sunday on March 28, 2021 and culminates with the Great Easter Vigil on Saturday, April 3, 2021 and Easter Sunday on April 4, 2021. The Easter season concludes with the celebration of Pentecost on the weekend of May 22-23, 2021.
- Ash Wednesday Guidelines (bilingual English/Spanish) – added 1/14/2021
- Lent & Easter Guidelines 2021 (English only) – added 1/19/2021
- Lent & Easter Guidelines 2021 (Spanish only) – added 1/19/2021
- 2021 Holy Thursday Liturgy Advisory (bilingual) – added 2/2/2021
- Ascension of the Lord (la Ascensión) 2021 (bilingual English/Spanish) – added 1/14/2021
- Questions & Answers about Lent and Lenten Practices (USCCB webpage)
THE SOLEMNITY OF THE MOST HOLY BODY & BLOOD OF CHRIST
Also known as “Corpus Christi” Sunday, the Solemnity of the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ falls on the weekend of June 5-6, 2021. See the resources list below for important information related to this solemnity.
- Corpus Christi Resource Book – 2021 (Year B) – (bilingual English/Spanish pdf) – Coming soon
ADVENT & CHRISTMAS 2020
The new Church Year begins with the season of Advent, starting on Sunday, November 29, 2020. The Christmas season begins with the Vigil of the Solemnity of the Lord’s Nativity on Thursday, December 24 and goes through to the Feast of the Baptism of the Lord on Sunday, January 10, 2021. The following two resources are offered to assist parishes with their Advent and Christmas preparations.
- 2020 Advent & Christmas Guidelines (bilingual English/Spanish pdf) – Added 11/2/2020
- 2020 Advent Penance Service (English only pdf) – Coming soon