Courageously Serving Our Brothers & Sisters
We believe that we serve Christ by serving others. Therefore…
The Diocese will establish 8 – 10 new locations of affordable housing facilities for families and/or singles managed by Catholic Charities throughout the Diocese by the end of 2021.
- Goal Update Hernando County : In January of 2019, the Diocese of St. Petersburg purchased a motel in Brooksville to convert the space into 12 efficiency units of affordable housing for low-income veterans. In addition to the purchase price of $350,000, the Diocese invested $200,000 to rehabilitate the property to make it clean, safe and comfortable for the occupants, many of whom were homeless. The property is called St. Teresa Apartments.
- Goal Update Citrus County: St. Benedict in Crystal River in being redesigned in response to community needs. Article: County Backs Diocesan Housing Project in Citrus
- Goal Update Hillsborough County: Catholic Charities Opens Shelter for the Homeless in Hillsborough. Three projects are under development. Details to be announced at a later date.
- Goal Update Pasco County: We are partnering with developers to be part of St. Patrick and St. James.
- Goal Update Pinellas County: Holy Name Apartments will be built next to Most Holy Name of Jesus Catholic Church in St. Petersburg.
- Goal Update: Close to 30 individuals with experience in affordable housing gathered at the Pastoral Center of the Diocese of St. Petersburg on August 14, 2018 to discuss how to address an important community need – housing for low-income, working families and individuals. “We believe every person has the right to a decent place to live and a safe place to live,” said Bishop Gregory Parkes. “We as a Church believe we can make a difference.” The meeting was the first-ever “Bishop’s Community Forum on Affordable Housing” and it was the first step in achieving one of the goals set forth by the new mutually shared vision of the Diocese, Courageously Living the Gospel.