The Rite of Election will be celebrated at 3:00 p.m. on the First Sunday of Lent, February 18, 2024, at the Cathedral of St. Jude the Apostle in St. Petersburg. R.C.I.A. directors can reserve seating now by completing this form.
All catechumens (i.e. the “unbaptized”) who will receive the three sacraments of initiation (i.e. Baptism, Confirmation, & Eucharist) at the Easter Vigil should be a part of the Rite of Election, unless grave pastoral reasons demand otherwise.
During the Rite of Election, Bishop Gregory Parkes will:
- Acknowledge God’s gracious call and the faithful response of the catechumens to seek Christ in His Church.
- Declare the catechumens to be members of the “elect” who will be fully initiated and receive the three sacraments of initiation (Baptism, Confirmation & Eucharist) at the Easter Vigil.
- Mark the beginning of their final period of intense, spiritual preparation during the season of Lent, known as the Period of Purification & Enlightenment.
Since this is a very crowded event, seating can only be reserved for
- 1) Catechumens and their godparents and
- 2) The parish R.C.I.A. director and clergy representatives.
R.C.I.A. directors, please complete this Seating Reservation Form before January 18, 2024 so that the Office of Worship can properly prepare for this important liturgy.
A memo will be sent out in December to all priests and R.C.I.A. directors to assist them with their preparations for this year’s Rite of Election.
- 2024 Rite of Election Information Sheet (bilingual version)
The deadline for completing the Seating Reservation Form is Thursday, January 18, 2024.