The Rite of Election will be celebrated on the First Sunday of Lent, March 1, 2020 at the Cathedral of St. Jude the Apostle in St. Petersburg. At this liturgy, Bishop Gregory Parkes will acknowledge God’s call and the catechumens faithful response to seek Christ and his Church; he will then declare them to be members of the “elect” who will be fully initiated (i.e. baptized, confirmed & receive Holy Communion) at the 2020 Easter Vigil.
There are two important things to note about the Rite of Election:
- There will only be one Rite of Election and it will be celebrated at 3:00 PM.
- Only the catechumens (i.e. the unbaptized) who have been preparing to receive the three sacraments of initiation – Baptism, Confirmation & Eucharist – at the 2020 Easter Vigil, and their godparents (sponsors), are to be a part of the Rite of Election.
The following information was mailed out on January 2, 2020 to pastors and RCIA directors to assist them with their preparations for this year’s Rite of Election, they include:
- Invitation Letter (bilingual version)
- Rite of Election Information Sheet (bilingual version)
- Seating Registration Form (fillable WORD doc.) – This fillable form can be downloaded and saved; then the RCIA director may type in the pertinent information and return it electronically to the Office of Worship.
- Seating Registration Form (PDF version)
The deadline for returning the Seating Reservation Form to the Office of Worship is Thursday, January 30, 2020.