Dear Pastors, Faith Formation Leaders and Parents,
In an effort to assist our parish leadership and the faithful of the Diocese of St. Petersburg in practicing their faith, continuing to learn and grow despite the challenges that the Corona Virus has caused, the resources and links below are offered. I encourage you to access resources that are offered by the publishers of the faith formation program materials that have been purchased and are in use in your respective parishes. As a customer of these publishing companies, they are committed to helping you to “switch gears” in fostering faith formation for children, youth and adults. Please note the very real service that all of the Catholic Publishers have offered to all of us as we seek to focus on spiritual unity, prayer and reflection on the Word of God despite our inability to gather as we would usually do. If I can be of assistance you can contact me via email at: BAL@DOSP.org or by cell phone at 813-240-4203. Thank you. Together, and in new ways, we are Courageously Living the Gospel!
– Brian Lemoi, Executive Director of the Office of Evangelization, Formation, Youth and Family Life
Excellent Examples of Creative Responses from our Colleagues around the Diocese
Recognizing that we cannot know of the good and creative work that is done unless it is brought to our attention; here featured are some of the creative responses to the Corona Virus from our colleagues across the Diocese of St. Petersburg. For English and Spanish Resources including videos and Power Point slides, our colleagues are sharing their good work. If you have something that we can feature on a page of shareable resources, please send them to BAL@DOSP.org. In the meantime click HERE to see the good things that are happening!
Resources from the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops:
Various prayer and learning resources are available at: USCCB Covid Resources
English and Spanish Resources from the USCCB & Encuentro Offices available at: English/Spanish USCCB Link
Click on the links below to see the resources from each publisher.
Catholic Faith Technologies (My Catholic Faith Delivered) and Ignatius Press
Offering free Online Faith Formation During COVID-19 Pandemic. FREE Faith and Life courses for those students soon celebrating Confirmation, First Communion, or enrolled in on-site religious education. Free licensing available through June 2020.
Offering complementary student editions of both our Christ Our Life and Finding God religious education programs. This digital subscription will make student books available for free until 6/30/2020. You can request access by contacting our customer service department at 1-800-621-1008 with the number of students who need access in each grade. Each program has a series of online resources that can support parents’ efforts to catechize their children outlined below.
Christ Our Life home resources can be found at www.christourlife.com/family.
- At-Home Editions: These guides allow parents to conduct catechesis with their children in the home.
- Interactive Chapter Reviews: Chapter reviews allow children, parents, and instructors to gauge learning objectives. Results can be emailed to a teacher or catechist along with student questions.
- Study Guides: Single page study guides outline important faith topics in each chapter.
- Faith Filled Games: Games such as Stump the Shepherd, Jesus’ Jigsaw, and Seek the Word allow children to continue to explore their faith no matter where they are.
Finding God at-home resources can be found at www.findinggod.com/family.
- At-Home Editions: These guides allow parents to conduct catechesis with their children in the home. For families with children in multiple grades using Finding God, utilize this Parent Quick Guide.
- Interactive Session Reviews: Session reviews allow children, parents, and instructors to gauge learning objectives. Results can be emailed to a teacher or catechist along with student questions.
- Study Guides: Single page study guides outline important faith topics in each session.
- Raising Faith Filled Kids: For parents who may not have the time or confidence to teach a full lesson, this resource provides background on the session and encourages parents to discuss faith topics with their children.
For resources that deal directly with the current pandemic, Loyola Press has developed a special Growing with God lesson for Covid-19. The lesson can be accessed here and includes parent/teacher pages, student worksheets, an animated video, and an additional lesson resource.
In partnership with the Early Childhood experts at the University of Dayton, RCL Benziger is excited to provide short training videos containing tips that will help you engage young children in your preschool and kindergarten classrooms.
Join Miss Debbie as she prepares to teach each lesson in Stories of God’s Love for preschool ages 4-5. These tips for teachers and catechists may be used for our Stories of God’s Love 3-4, 4-5, and Kindergarten programs.
Catholic Relief Services: Resources for Parishes and Catholic Schools: Click Here
During these challenging times, FORMED is extending complimentary access to for all parishioners in the Diocese of St. Petersburg for 40 days. Click here to sign up.
Strong Catholic Family Faith:
Resources are available for parish and school leaders from the Strong Catholic Family Faith website. Resources for Breaking Open the Word, talking with children about the coronavirus, a faith response to the coronavirus, curated faith formation resources and so much more to share with families at: www.catholicfamilyfaith.org.
Praying and Reflecting on the Sunday Gospel:
To view a “Question of the Week” that centers on the Sunday Gospel for youth, young adults and families, click here.
Find more resources for children, families and individuals here: Keeping the Faith Alive During Coronavirus.
John Roberto has developed many online resources and is available for video phone chats during his “virtual office hours” so that he can assist you directly with any challenges you are facing as you move to online faith formation. His website is located at: https://vibrantfaith.org/
Commentaries and Faith Sharing on the Sunday Readings (English, Spanish and Vietnamese): https://www.ascensioncatholic.net/Commentaries-on-the-Sunday-Readings.
Small Christian Community Gospel-Centered Format Translated in Spanish and Vietnamese