Our Holy Father Pope Francis has invited the Catholic Church to embark on a journey together through the Synod on Synodality. Through listening and discernment rooted in the Holy Spirit, the entire people of God will be called to contribute to the Synod process by which the Church deepens in understanding of Her mission and looks toward the future.
A Synod is not just a convening of Bishops reflecting on a particular topic, such as the Synod on the Family. A Synod is also a journey of discernment, in which the people of God are called to pray and reflect upon the Holy Spirit’s will for the Church. Through our listening and our sharing, we will seek to understand what the Holy Spirit’s will is for the Church.
A Synod is not about changing Church teaching but about listening to what the Holy Spirit is speaking into the hearts of the faithful.
The Synod on Synodality is the fruit of the Spirit and the discernment of our Holy Father reading the signs of the times. He states, “It is precisely this path of synodality which God expects of the Church of the third millennium.”
As Catholics, we are called to take up this mission in our own local Church, in our parishes, our communities, and in our families. By journeying together as a Church, we can better fulfill the missionary call of Christ: “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:19-20).
In the Diocese of St. Petersburg, Bishop Gregory Parkes has appointed Dr. Lois Locey, Chancellor for Administration, to oversee the local effort. Dr. Locey can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We invite you to visit this page often for news and updates.
News and Updates on the Synod on Synodality
- LOCAL: “We Are Here to Listen,” USF Students Participate in the Vatican Synod (February 2022)
- LOCAL: Clergy, Religious and Lay Leaders Begin the Process of “Walking Together” for Vatican Synod (November 2021)
- App Collects Prayers for the Synod (October 2021)
- LOCAL: Bishop Gregory Parkes Celebrates Opening Mass for the Diocesan Phase of the Synod on Synodality (October 2021)
- Pope Francis Celebrates Opening Mass for the Synod on Synodality (October 2021)
- Pope Francis has chosen the single word, “Listen!” as the theme for the 56th World Communications Day.
- Church Needs to Hear God Speaking through those who are Hurting, Pope Says (September 2021)
- Synodal Process Is not about ‘Gathering Opinions,’ but ‘Listening to the Holy Spirit’ (September 2021)
- Vatican Releases Synod on Synodality Documents (September 2021)
- Synod of Bishops Publishes List of Commission Members (July 2021)
- Synod of Bishops will Begin in Local Churches (May 2021)
- Pope Francis Announces Synodal Process (May 2021)
- Synod of Bishops Graphic (May 2021) This flowchart shows the timeline and process for the XVI Ordinary General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops.
Sign Up To Receive Email Updates
When you sign up for updates, we will email you once events are scheduled and let you know the various ways you can participate. Thank you!