Pope Francis will invite bishops from across the world to Rome in October of 2023 for a Synod to discern ways to engage more people in the decision-making process that affects the whole Church. This synod is not about changing Church teaching but about listening to what the Holy Spirit is speaking into the hearts of the faithful.
The upcoming Synod is the fruit of the Spirit and the discernment of our Holy Father reading the signs of the times. He states, “It is precisely this path of synodality which God expects of the Church of the third millennium.” As Catholics, we are called to take up this mission in our own local Church, in or parishes, our communities, and in our families. By journeying together as a Church, and the Body of Christ and the People of God, we can better fulfill the missionary call of Christ: “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:19-20).
In the Diocese of St. Petersburg, Bishop Gregory Parkes has appointed Dr. Lois Locey, Secretary for Administration, to oversee the local effort. Details on this process will be shared with all parishes once it is available. Dr. Locey can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We invite you to visit this page often for news and updates.
Save the Date – October 17, 2021
All are invited to join Bishop Gregory Parkes for the Opening Mass of the Synod on Synodality, Sunday, October 17, 2021, at 11:30 a.m. at the Cathedral of St. Jude the Apostle (5815 5th Avenue N., St. Petersburg) or view the livestream at www.dosp.org/livestream or listen on Spirit FM 90.5. Click here to learn more.
News and Updates on the Synod on Synodality
- Pope Francis has chosen the single word, “Listen!” as the theme for the 56th World Communications Day.
- Church Needs to Hear God Speaking through those who are Hurting, Pope Says (September 2021)
- Synodal Process Is not about ‘Gathering Opinions,’ but ‘Listening to the Holy Spirit’ (September 2021)
- Vatican Releases Synod on Synodality Documents (September 2021)
- Synod of Bishops Publishes List of Commission Members (July 2021)
- Synod of Bishops will Begin in Local Churches (May 2021)
- Pope Francis Announces Synodal Process (May 2021)
- Synod of Bishops Graphic (May 2021) This flowchart shows the timeline and process for the XVI Ordinary General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops.